Friday 14 June 2013

A Beginning

Friday June 14, 2013

Welcome to Brickage City!

I have created this blog to record my interest in building a Lego City. Why Brickage? Well when one sees a massive Lego construction using lots of bricks I refer to it as a lot of Brickage! - "That set has massive brickage!" Not sure if the term has been coined already...but it has now ;)

Let me just tell you a little bit about me. Ever since I was three years old I've collected Lego. Like most AFOLs (Adult Fan of Lego) we have what you call 'dark ages' where as children we grew up with Lego Toys and stopped collecting usually in our teens only to come back to Lego as adults. This is the third time in my life I have come back to Lego. I stopped around the age of 14 and didn't start again until Star Wars Lego sets were produced in 1999. I stopped again when I went to university in 2003 and just started again two and half years ago. I only ever collected two themes as a kid, Space and Castle. They were loads of fun to build with and as ever boy is bound to do, simulate battles. However once Star Wars arrived I collected most of the early sets 1999-2003 and got serious about collecting. Money issues of course forced me to stop. (As anyone who ever has bought a Lego set will attest, its a brilliant toy but expensive!) Only within the last two years did I move onto collecting Lego City. I used to strictly focus on Star Wars sets but the Tipper Truck (4434) changed my mind.

As a toy, Lego has moved way beyond what we knew as children, coloured bricks. Lego is more akin to modelling these days. Certainly when one goes hunting for images and inspiration online one sees ingenious creations out there. This has motivated me to go beyond just collecting sets and down to the fundamentals with Lego, building!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/90855
https://www.flickr.com/photos/94341490@N02/



No comments:

Post a Comment