Friday 14 June 2013

The Mechanic's Garage

The Garage is based on a design I saw in a photo at the back of Lego manuals. As I kid I always like the giant photo spreads they did and wanted to recreate one of my own. Obviously between that and seeing the commercials which have very complex cityscapes I am more determined to make one of my own. I have a background in the arts and specifically film so seeing how they produced these commercials was a real treat. It's just unfortunate I was not able to turn my love of arts into a solid career.

Viola! The initial version and the subsequent one:



To the right side of it I installed a bunch of windows to open it up. On the left side I have put in a mini office just like it mechanics garages. I placed a pallet outside for whatnot and have some tires to lounge about too. It has a register, water cooler and filing cabinet complete with a ceiling fan that can be turned from the top. That is what I like about these projects, trying to achieve a balance between realism and playability just like what the Lego designers would do. The one thing missing from this is of course a car. I will design one eventually. My focus at the moment is on buildings. However having said that I would like to show what I have done for some traffic lights and street lights. My street light is the standard with the Lego modular. Nothing fancy but will be used in the downtown core and I have twenty. 

This is my traffic light creation. Its simple but I like it. Right now I have 4 of them for two intersections. Believe it or not the lights are spare pieces from my Lego sets. I've been getting so many of them that I was able to make four of them. Coincidently I found out why there are extra bits in each set. Firstly, to register the weight properly for the packaging sensors and secondly, for the play factor. Kids tends to lose the smallest pieces first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment